At St Fidelis, we believe that learning another language offers children another way of understanding their world. We hope that learning Latin, an ancient foreign language, will provide the foundation for our children to learn further languages.
We follow the Languages programme of study for Key Stage 2 from the National Curriculum. In particular, there is a focus in lessons on the following using the Minimus scheme:
- Listening attentively to spoken language
- Exploring the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes, linking the spelling, sound and meaning of words
- Speaking in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures
- Read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
- Broaden their vocabulary
- Write phrases from memory and create new sentences
- Understand basic grammar
We are proud that:
- We provide our children with a chance to translate English sentences into Latin by conjugating verbs and declining nouns.
- We provide our children with the opportunity to explore how the English language has Latin roots.
- Each half term the children can extend their Latin knowledge through a new theme; enabling the children to practise the skills they have already learnt.